Do we have a choice?
If you're in similar business circles to the ones I follow, you have probably heard a lot of content lately based on "Do It Scared". The books, podcasts, articles, ect. on this topic are great reminders that fear is a constant in our lives and we need to get out there and do it anyways. Love the message! What if though, there was another way, a better way? Do we have a choice in whether we run our businesses based on simply doing things scared?
Is there another way?
If you are running your business as a faith-focused believer, then I absolutely believe there is another way! While you will more than likely have to face fear over and over again in your life and business, there is a way to make decisions, launch new products, present big talks, and serve your customers with confidence instead of fear. How is that possible? Well, I'm so glad you asked!
Meditate on truth:
Fear is not a new concern that has recently popped up to atttack us in modern times. In fact, the Bible commands us to "fear not" over 80 times!
The way to step out of fear and into confidence is to draw near and meditate on the very truths that free us from that fear and show us the alternative.
I highly recommend making an intention to memorize at least 3 verses that combat fear and use them anytime that familar feeling starts to flutter in the depths of your stomach.
Feel free to start with 3 and go on to memorize all 80 and then some! You can never memorize too much scripture, but here are a few of my personal favorites to get you started:
"Don't fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1
"For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7
"He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8
Fight back against fear:
Fear, he is a liar
He will take your breath
Stop you in your steps
Fear he is a liar
He will rob your rest
Steal your happiness
Cast your fear in the fire
'Cause fear, he is a liar
These lyrics from the popular Christian artist Zack Williams state so clearly exactly why it is essential for believers to identify fear, acknowledge the damage it can do to our lives, and intentionally fight back.
How do we fight back against fear in our lives and in our businesses?
- Serve in Love: 1 John 4:18 tells us that "Perfect love casts out all fear" and since we know the source of perfect love (God) we can call upon his perfect love to cast the fear out of our lives.
- Pray: "Do not be anxious (fearful) about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpassses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4: 6-7
- Wield the Weapons Given to Us: The Lord did not leave us here on Earth without weapons to fight back against fear and its forces. In Ephesians we are given instruction on how to put on the armor of God. The weapon we are given to fight back against the "cosmic powers of darkness and spiritual forces of evil" is the "Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" Ephesians 6:17. Again we are reminded of the power of scripture and the importance of staying in the word of God!
While we might not be able to choose whether or not we have to battle fear. we are equipped with the tools and scriptures needed to combat those fears.
That means that ultimately the choice is ours whether we will choose to serve and show up in our businesses with either confidence or fear at the reigns.
How do we choose confidence? By choosing to believe that we have been called and equipped for every good work and that we are to be "strong and courageous" in all we do.
Joshua is one of my favorite books in the Bible because of the beautiful reminders the Lord gives to Joshua about his promises to lead his people into the promised land. After 40 years of wandering in the wilderness, it is finally time for God's people to claim their land and Joshua has been given the role of leader.
Understandably, Joshua needs a little reassurance as the land is full of giants and fortified cities. In Joshua chapter 1, Joshua isn't reminded once, not twice, but three times to "be strong and courageous and to not be frightened nor dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9.
Joshua chose confidence and courage over fear and in doing so, led God's people into the promised land that the Lord had prepared for them decades before.
So what does this look like?
Choosing confidence over fear can transform your life and business in some really amazing ways. While we can't prevent fear from popping up its ugly little head, we can absolutely cut it to the ground before it can do any damage by applying God's word to our lives.
Some examples of what that may look like:
- Praying "God did not give me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a strong mind" to calm the butterflies and still your nerves before a big presentation.
- Stepping out in faith to launch that new product or service with bold confidence after spending time in prayer and sensing the Lord's will to move forward.
- Investing in that new course or training that you know will grow your business and help you better serve your audience because you have slayed fear and called it out for the liar it is.
In short, facing fear and choosing confidence could look like a thousand different things to you and your business, but at the end of the day, the important thing to remember is that you serve the One who is in control and who is victorious over all. Get out there! Love, serve, and help your people with confidence and courage!
If you enjoyed` this article and want some more inspiration for building a business that you love and that creates major impact, then please register for my Free Gift Below!